Skip to Main Content
If Your Luck Runs Out During St. Patty’s . . .
9 Quick Tips If You Get Arrested During St. Patty’s Day (Or Any Day)
- Always be polite and respectful, but do not answer any questions without an attorney present. You should always tell the police: “I’d like to speak to an attorney.”
- IF FOR A DWI, You have the right to refuse to perform the field sobriety tests and a breath/blood test. (Officer can still get a warrant for a blood sample).
- Write a friend’s or family member’s phone number on a piece of paper, or on your hand, arm, etc. If your phone is placed in property and the number is not memorized, then you may have a hard time making a phone call for help.
- Don’t tell anyone over the phone the facts of what happened. At the most, tell them the charge. (Calls may be recorded.)
- Remember: what (county and/or jail) you are at, what the charge is and what police department arrested you.
- Get in contact with someone to help you get a bail bondsman to bond/bail you out of jail. Or, if posting a cash bond, arrange for cash to be taken to the jail to post bond.
- You’ll have to wait to be released after posting a bond. It is not an instantaneous process. (It could take several hours).
- Hire an attorney as soon as possible to discuss all the facts of the case – this is covered under the attorney/client privilege.
- Do not discuss the facts of your case with anyone other than your attorney. If your case goes to trial, they could become a witness.